Margaret’s Fund: A Northside Scholarship
Margaret’s Fund supports residents of Madison’s Northside neighborhoods to pursue post-secondary education. The award goes to a graduating high school senior in odd years and to a returning adult in even years.
Most scholarships cover only tuition and books but Margaret’s Fund is unrestricted. A Margaret’s Fund: Northside Scholarship recipient can use the award at their discretion to pay for some of the extra costs of college, such as childcare, computers, transportation, supplies, or special fees.
Applicants to Margaret’s Fund must:
* live on Madison’s Northside
* be accepted into a degree or certificate seeking program
* be planning to enroll or continue in a degree or certificate program in the fall semester
* returning adults must have had their education interrupted (didn’t go to college or a degree program immediately after high school or GED)
* high school applicants must have attended a Madison public school
Among those applicants who meet the requirements, Margaret’s Fund gives preference to applicants who:
* are in the first generation in their family to go on to post secondary school
* actively participate in Northside organizations
* have overcome substantial obstacles or challenges to success
In 2016, the scholarship is open to returning adults. The deadline to apply is June 6, 2016. The application must be submitted by June 6 and the required letter of recommendation must be emailed or have a postmark date no later than June 6. The application is fillable on-line*; please have your answers ready in advance before starting to fill it out.
The Margaret’s Fund itself was a proud recipient of a 2011 Northstar Award from the Northside Planning Council.